Newest "Inspired by a 9-patch" quilt top

I'm an old(er) toot, but I'm of the modern persuasion when it comes to quilting.   I'm honored to be invited to teach a quilting workshop in a couple of weeks for my friends and fellow Quilt Guild Acadienne members in Lafayette, Louisiana. 

It's gonna be fun with some in the workshop wanting a traditional approach and some a very modern version of the double-disappearing nine-patch.   I've been busy this summer making up lots of DD9-patch quilt tops and when I looked back, discovered that most of them are modern....improvisational piecing and block placement.   No, I'm not EVEN tired of this sew and cut and sew and cut again approach to quilt-making so I whipped up another quilt top with a more traditional tone the other day using my newly found Robert Kaufman "Spot On" charm pack. 

Double Disappearing 9-Patch with Robert Kaufman "Spot On" charm pack - made by marty mason


I had three blocks left over and added a lot of background white to arrive at this minimalist modern:
Yes, it is the same technique!  But what a difference adding background made.  I'm addicted to the double disappearing 9-patch.  I'm also addicted to this quilt-as-you-go-quilting technique. 

modern double disappearing 9-patch by marty mason
 
I love that little touch of green: 
Oh, yes, I am very patriotic, but with that smidge of green, I thought the name just fit this quilt! 

modern double disappearing 9-patch by marty mason

So, you see, it's not necessarily the fabric that makes  a quilt modern or traditional....it's the quilt maker who makes the difference.  (she says)







 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...