Travel to Louisiana for Satsumas

 We are getting down to the finish line with the Louisiana traveling quilt.  Kelly's has just left the house on to the next quilter to add another block. 

I had to really think about this one.  "Louisiana" is the theme Kelly decided each of us should consider when adding our blocks to her quilt.   I live here so this should be easy yet when I received her quilt, I was at a loss - not because I don't know about my state, but because there was so much extreme applique and English paper-piecing.  I went into overwhelm at the intricate detail and beauty of each block.   There was the  red stick (Baton Rouge), New Orleans superdome and the intricate fleur de lis and all those French Quarter street signs....okay, time to take a deep breath and get control.  No one said I had to add a block that imitates all the other blocks. 

So, digging deep into my knowledge of Louisiana and also being determined to add an improvisational-style block, I came up with the orange peel block pattern, added a few flying geese and scraps of this 'n that for fillers. 


Kelly's Louisiana Traveling Quilt - improv orange peel added by Marty Mason


Kelly's Louisiana Traveling Quilt - improv orange peel added by Marty Mason


Kelly's Louisiana Traveling Quilt - improv orange peel added by Marty Mason


Now, a little history.  The Satsuma trees were exported to the West from Satsuma Province in Japan and produce a fruit that is about the size of the mandarin orange.  Groves started by Jesuits in the 18th century in Plaquemines Parish have continued to the present day.   Satsuma groves flourish across the southern part of Louisiana.   So, Kelly, there you have it.....the orange peel pieced in a very modern improvisational style is my addition to your Louisiana traveling quilt. 





 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...