Beautiful Chaos

It's a post from a few years back....July, 2011, but I just found it and so enjoyed reading about - you guessed it - the beauty of quilts pieced in the improvisational style. 


CW Collectors Weekly.  The Beautiful Chaos of Improvisational Quilts ~


I have no support group locally so therefore seldom show anyone my quilts.  I often feel that something must be really mixed up in my brain for me to enjoy the chaos in improv quilts and to say unapologetically that I think many I've seen are amazing works of art made by true artisans. 


My favorite quilt pictured in the Collectors Weekly article is the red and yellow designed by Arlonzia Pettway in 1982 based on the  'housetop' pattern.  If you know anything about the Quilters of Gee's Bend, then you know the Pettway name.  I found the Pettway quilt pictured on Linda Allen's Pinterest Board  Quilts I like and followed the picture back to the original article.  News travels fast with just a tap of the finger.  Yes, Linda Allen, I like this one a lot. 


Lisa Hix begins her article by asking "what might jazz look like if it had a physical presence?"  Now I know why I like jazz and I like my quilts.   Here's just one example of what I've made that makes me toe-tapping happy. 






Improv Quilt work-in-progress on the design wall of Marty Mason







4 comments :

  1. Girl, that's a jazzy quilt on your wall! I keep going back to the Gee's Bend quilts for inspiration. There's just something (which I can't quite put my finger on) that speaks to me. I don't want to copy or replicate them--I want to put my finger on that something! (That doesn't sound right but you know what I mean.) I want my quilts to speak to others.
    If there's something I know, it's that your quilts speak and have lots to say. So play your jazz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be safe to say Mary, that you and I are of like minds. Our quilts will probably not be appreciated by others as we appreciate the quilts of others. At least we have the joy of knowing that it is our own and others would be hard pressed to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you....now I have three - me, you and Mary and three is not a crowd so life is good.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by...