Playing with favorites ~

Do you have favorites?  I do:  And one of those favorites is Gwen Marston and one of my favorite of her books (with Cathy Jones) is Free Range Triangle Quilts....an AQS Publication.

In their book, there are conversations on inspiration, lessons learned,  construction tips and free and open range triangles.  It's the free and open that drew me in. 

Being under 'house arrest' for the past several weeks has given me an opportunity to browse through my favorite scraps.....that would be all of them.....to come up with a couple of free range and care free triangle quilts. 

Here are the first free range triangles surrounded by a minimal style patched border.  I know, I know, we aren't suppose to add borders to make a larger quilt, but that's exactly why and what I did to this one. 

A quilt - patched triangles with improv patched borders - marty mason

A quilt - patched triangles with improv patched borders - marty mason




And the second set of free range triangles were sewn in columns separated by various widths of a Tula Pink betsybug red.  This one also needed to be enlarged and a Bonnie and Camille on the shelf just fit the bill.


A quilt - patched triangles with asymmetrical borders - marty mason




patched triangles sashed by Tula Pink betsybug red - marty mason


 Mary Elizabeth Kinch shared in a workshop I attended her thoughts on the 'power of ish'.  Interpreted here to mean that a 5"  border strip might be enhanced by adding a 4" ish border to the other side.  Oh, it's powerful when there isn't enough of one fabric to be symmetrical. 







 


1 comment :

  1. I work in ish all the time. Otherwise, I'd have to math and I have a real problem with that activity.
    I really like your quilts, Marty. I've not heard of this artist so I've got another theory to research. The minimalist border is especially interesting. You've taken these triangles up a few notches. The red is stunning. I guess I love them equalish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...