A break from the ordinary ~

 I sometimes need a break......a break from quilting cottons!  The silk fabric hoarder in me needed to take the dive and work up a quilt with those thrift store silk ties and scarves and blouses that had been languishing on the shelf  way too long.   Each piece was easy to improv  because of the size and shape of silk scrap.  After stabilizing each piece with an iron-on fusible,  I simply cut to maximize the fabric. 





What I discovered was that I would rather wear silk than work with it in a quilt!  The stitching is finished on this 40" x 55" silk and the hand-quilting has now begun.  



Now I'm back to working with cotton and my favorite of all times quilt pattern....the Chinese coins.  Didn't bother me at all when I discovered there was not enough yellow to sash each strip of coins.  Fillers just make me smile.   You'll have to look closely to see my improv additions to lengthen the yellow strips.  Every day in every way, life is good ~ 




2 comments :

  1. Two things: I hope you are enjoying the hand quilting and I hope you're using silk thread. The feel of silk going through cotton is wonderful! Now I may have to try silk thread in silk fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I do so enjoy hand quilting and have been doing more and more. Sad to say, I do have silk thread.....but forgot to use it! I'll just say that I meant to save it for another project and laugh as I lie to self.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...