Sunday in September #4



Being silent isn't a bad thing.  Being quiet doesn't mean one doesn't exist....it just means other things are going on.  Doctor visits, trip to Books a Million (old school habits require refrigerator calendar to get in touch with self every day),  successfully prepping a casserole for guild luncheon yummmm.     You know, the hum-drum 'busy' time in and out of the house.




But it's now 'fess time in very loud voice - I've finished hand quilting my project for a December showing.  Because of it's vintage style, I chose to finish it with facing rather than binding.  The hanging sleeve is absolutely attached and now there is plenty of time to get that label on.  Yea for being silent long enough to get this job done.


It's made with fabric salvaged from old shirts in the style my grandmother might have gathered and pieced.   This particular quilt design was inspired from quilt shown on page 51 in Roderick Kiracofe's Unconventional & Unexpected....American Quilts Below the Radar.

Hand quilted in Baptist Fan pattern with #12 Perle cotton thread



Continuing in loud voice - I've just finished constructing 75 little pouches to hold beeswax pellets for the July 6-10, 2020 retreat in Canton, Mississippi -The Gray Center



Oh, am I excited to be a part of the Nova Montgomery Featherweight week!  There will be 60+ attendees, each going through an intensive day of cleaning their coveted Singer Featherweights.  In their spare time,  Gray Center host, Anne Robertson, has elicited others to share what they do.  That's where I come in.  I've been invited to share the how to's of waxing fabric and what I do with waxed fabric....linen, silk, wool and canvas.   I'll be surrounded by lots of talented ladies and gents and am looking forward to this beautifully planned retreat.  Stay tuned for scheduling and details and keep an eye on the Gray Center events page.



Beeswax waxed pouches pieced in improvisational style by Marty Mason


Yes, I've been silent for too long.  Quiet doesn't become me when I have so much to share.  I'm so excited, I could scream.








Beeswax waxed pouches pieced in improvisational style by Marty Mason



2 comments :

  1. I don't know which is more impressive: the quilt or 75! little pouches. You've been using your time and silence wisely. The quilt is absolutely lovely. It's very much in the style of our grandmothers' era. And that you used shirt fabric makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary....I'd just pop if I had to be still or be quiet for very long. But my silence was rewarding last week. Thank you for your visit and generous compliments.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by...