Cool Weather Recipe - Santa Fe Stew

This girl can cook - no, it's not a birthday cake even though dear sister is having a happy birthday today. She begged, then finally bribed, me not to share her new age.

While I'm not a pastry chef, I do love to make soup and chili and gumbo and jambalaya when the weather turns cool. I'm really pushing the cool weather a bit, but I had a yen for my Santa Fe stew the other day. This is one of those pass-along recipes....I'm sure it's in a cookbook somewhere and if I knew it's original source, I would gladly assign credit 'cause this one is a keeper.



My vintage roasting pot is so heavy, I can hardly pick it up. So when I ask dearest to fetch it for me, he knows this is going to be a day for something good.



I'm not sure where the name of the recipe came from??? Full of beans!


Oops! I forgot to add the corn.

l lb lean ground beef
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chili
1 can whole kernel corn
Beans - 1 can each
pinto beans
black beans
kidney beans
great northern beans
navy beans
garbanzo beans (chick peas)

Brown ground beef, dice and saute onion, add ranch dressing mix. Season with chili powder and Worcestershire. Add cans of tomatoes, corn and beans with their juice. Simmer for hours, stirring occasionally. Serve up and garnish with Freeto chips and grated sharp cheddar cheese. Yummy good and so easy. (I use salt free cans when I can find them - that way I don't feel guilty about the Freetos!)

This recipe serves - well, it serves a bunch. Dearest and I had dinner. I put some in storage for lunch the next day and froze two large bowls for two dinner meals later in the season. See what I mean - it serves a bunch. This is a great recipe to prepare ahead and freeze when company is expected.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing. I like to cook things that I can walk away from for a while. This sounds good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...