Busting out the Batik

A Moda Bake Shop Recipe:   The 'You Zig, I'll Zag' Quilt designed by Rebecca Silbaugh of Ruby Blue Quilting Studio.   Rebecca has patterns galore in the Ruby Blue shop


The cutting directions are given for a layer cake, but I wanted to use some of my batik,, so I just cut 2 1/2" strips across the width of fabric and that worked just fine.....only 35 1/2 inches  are needed for each block.   I used 28 different batiks so had to double up on some since the pattern calls for 41. 



The instructions for sewing together was pretty straight-forward....unless you get confused and pulled from the wrong stack.  Start with two different 2 1/2" squares, then pull a like 4 1/2" rectangle.  Now find a different 4 1/2" rectangle and partner it with a 6 1/2" rectangle.  Now pull the 6 1/2" and 8 1/2" rectangle partners for the last round.  A finished 8 1/2" block.   It'll make sense after you finish cutting and get started sewing. 



 With all 41 blocks lined up, I discovered it made a square quilt......and I wanted rectangle, so I made 9 more blocks so it zigged 5 blocks across and zagged  6 blocks down.... for a 58" x 70" finished size. 
 Another reason for my madness....I didn't have enough of my triangle fabric for the outer border so decided to stop it at this point.  What....I'm de-stashing my batik fabric and did not want to go for more! 




The day was too pretty not to go outside for the final picture...of course, the wind was blowing which explains away the slight blur! 
I like it!  Thanks Moda and Rebecca  for this great recipe.   

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...