Journal Quilt #12



I first layered, then stitched down, the pieces of blue fabric to make a background for my broderie perse applique red flower/ tree.  I liked this flower because of it's flat shape on one side!  I've heard of broderie perse but didn't really know what that was until I went searching yesterday.  Very simply, in French "broderie perse" means Persian embroidery, but it also came to refer to the lovely applique of printed chintz flowers and other motifs onto a solid fabric. These exquisite quilts have been made since the 1700s.  Because of the cost of chintz, ladies would cut the flowers and other motifs they needed to complete their design then would pass the remaining yardage on for others to clip and use. 

Okay, I broke the rules, but my 'solid color' background fabric suits me just fine.  And, because of the busy background, I felt that one flower was very adequate.....and a fun journal quilt to make.  Linked to Three Creative Studios Journal Quilt Flickr Group. 

2 comments :

  1. Very pretty. :) I really do like the red on the blues. Striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours and the composition of this ! Must have a go at that process myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...